The Queen’s Gardens

The National Garden Behind the Old Palace (Parliament Building), lies a 16-hectare (40-acre) park, cherished by all Athenians. Formerly known as the “Royal Garden”, it was renamed the National Garden by decree in 1923. The Queen’s seat, this vantage-point once offered the Queen amazing views over the Acropolis and the Phaleron Bay. Photograph by Konstantinos Despotis The park was commissioned in 1838 by Amalia of Oldenburg, Queen Consort of Greece from 1836 to 1862 as the spo